Friday, October 23, 2015

Week 7: Day 023 - Lab Router #2


 Well after all that complaining about the bus, it showed up on time today! But I barely made it on the bus, the door literally shut behind. It's because my class is across the school from the bus ramp. Anyways, I got here on time (for once) and am now going to set up this lab router!

Firstly, I showed up on time, got the CD from my teacher and then inserted the disc into the drive and started burning the iso image for Ubuntu Server onto the CD through Xfburn which is pretty nifty for this OS. Once the installation finished, I went to the computer which will be turned into a router.

When I booted it up, it was still on that drive which was set to the cigar shop thingy, so I then I went back to the boot options in the bios and set it for the DVD drive, since that's where the CD was in. Apparently it's got a terabyte worth of space! It then started up the installation wizard for the Ubuntu Server software. I went through the process, my teacher partitioned it for me, since it was dumb to commit 1 terabyte to that one server. But during the process, I came across a brick wall when trying to set up with DHCP client with the server. I guess I'm not ready for that stuff until later. I skipped that, and finally got to the end of the installation, and that was it.

After, I finish my chapter on Installing a Physical Network, the next one will be revisiting TCP/IP in a more in depth manner. Perhaps during that chapter, I will better understand the theory for some of these things, to help me test the server in the lab at the back of the room. Until then, I won't be doing much with this thing... so on that bombshell, goodbye!

1 comment:

  1. This is good. We spent just enough time on the server so you could appreciate what it is you need to learn. Hopefully, that will make the theory more meaningful and easier to grasp since it will have some concrete context.

    Once you begin to wrap your head around the networking layer (TCP/iP), it will be time to try to apply what you've learned to the router.

    ReplyDelete