Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Week 7: Day 022 - Lab Router #1


Well, my bus decided to show up extremely late today, so I got to the Career Center very late! I swear, I'm gonna file a complaint with these guys, how can I be getting to class 45 minutes late! Hopefully this doesn't occur again, cause things are getting interesting for me in this class, as you will see.

Anyways, today my teacher gave me a computer to perhaps become a router, and a DHCP server. It's a really old computer, so much so that he didn't know what was on it. I booted it up, and the boot priority was set to a floppy disk... you heard me right. A FLOPPY DISK! Crazy as it was, I went into the bios and I told it to set the CD drive as priority boot, and it booted up with a boot screen that had Ubuntu listed as one of the boot options. I load it up, and it thinks it's 2001! It looked like quite an old version of Ubuntu as well.

According to my teacher it was actually a hard drive that was thrown in several years later, for some guy who wanted a cash register at a Cigar shop. Yeah, kind of weird... So after that, he told me that I should go to my workstation and download an iso for ubuntu server, and then burn it onto a CD. I'm downloading it now as I type, but I'll probably burn it next class. Following that, I'll be installing that CD onto the old computer I've been banging on about. This is going to be a new experience for me, and he said I'll be setting up the server myself. When I finish, it should be able to shut down all computers in the lab, on command. Sounds cool to me, honestly.

This is another short entry, compared to my other ones, but of course understandably, considering my bus got here very late. On that note, this entry is over! I'll be continuing the "Installing a Physical Network" segment shortly. Thanks for reading, and goodbye!

2 comments:

  1. To repeat the link I put in my comment two entries back:

    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Router

    As it states, "You'll need a dedicated computer to act as the router. The computer can use old hardware and having the minimum requirements to install Ubuntu should suffice. The author of this article runs his router on a P3 600mhz processor with 256MB of RAM." So as you can see, *old* computers make good servers. The machine I gave you will more than suffice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great, I'll get to that today then!

    ReplyDelete