Thursday, November 19, 2015

Week 11: Day 031 - The Grand Project #3



Hello again, today I will summarize what I've done for a lot of the week. I'm revisiting the Grand Project, since now we have stuff to do on it. We've done quite a bit since last time. Last time we were working on getting that hard drive to work, this time it's something more essential. We're trying to get the touchscreen which will be implemented to work.

Firstly, what we're attempting to do now, is to get the touchscreen attached with the Raspberry Pi, to try and get it to start displaying OSMC on the touchscreen. However, we've encountered many problems with this. So we assembled the entire thing, and it has not worked thus far. It's very mysterious as to what the problem actually is, but it has been frustrating trying to find a solution. What we've had to do for the last few classes and even part of last week, is look at manuals and guides on how exactly to do this. We must have taken it apart and put it back together at least three times now, it's insane!

BUT, there's some good news to all of this. It's been a day or two, and Marco actually found out that he reversed the video cable, which is paper thin (just a note), and put it in the right way. I went to the bathroom, and came back... they got it to work. FOR A FEW SECONDS! Marco then turned it off, tried to put the case back on, and it hasn't work since. I'm sat here thinking I won't live to see the day when this touchscreen actually works. Also something to note, I've been progressively working on an entry for TCP/IP but I've been distracted a lot, so I'm not ready to post that yet.

It has been another day in the week, and although we're working on the Raspberry Pi, one of the students in my class had a problem with their computer, so Marco, Shams, and I looked at it. When you booted it up the computer it get seven loud beeps. At the time Marco thought it was a problem with RAM, and he was wrong. We opened up the computer, found out his processor is pretty banged up, so that turned out to be the issue, or if not the entire motherboard itself. Anyways, when I looked it up, I was able to find out that it was a problem with the motherboard or processor before we even confirmed it. Unfortunately, there was no quick fix, so the owner will need to buy a new processor for his laptop.


To conclude, it's been a couple days, and that guy Kevin Cole came here again today (I'm gonna start calling him KC), and we had a group talk Mr. Nolen was there too, and we decided to install Raspbian OS onto another micro-sd card as sort of a diagnostic tool. Why would we do that?, you may ask. Well it's a more developer-centric OS, so we have more accessibility and more information will be given to us, and more importantly, that OS will work with the touchscreen guaranteed. I think I've made a lot of progress this class than any other this week. So KC showed me how to data dump this class, and yes I know we've done it before, but this time I actually understood the stuff he was saying, so happy days. Something else to note is that we actually haven't done anything with the card yet. Right now KC and Mr. Nolen are using our workstation for something they're doing with a homemade 3D Printer. If we get this to work, I'll consider making another entry by that point, but for now, I'm done with this!

2 comments:

  1. A lot of cool stuff you're learning, yes? It will only get cooler as we move forward.

    ReplyDelete
  2. btw. Nice touch adding the photo to your post. Please make a habit of doing that!

    ReplyDelete